Thursday, January 18, 2007

Financial House Cleaning

Today I went through all my mail from my old place and sorted out all my financial statements. I was shocked to see I had tons of mail that never got forwarded from my previous place and a little disappointed in some areas. I received one collection notice from Nextel. I appearantly had a balance that never got paid off when I switched carriers, so I immediately called them up and made my payment. I went through all my credit card statements and something particular caught my eye. On one of my secured visa cards, it said on the statement I was going to be charged a $45 annual fee on my next bill. My credit limit is $200 and there is no way I was going to pay 25% from a "fee." Again, I called them up and tried to see if there was anything they could do for me. The operator said no and I gladly closed my account. That same credit card also charges a $25 "credit limit increase fee" which I think is ridiculous. I should be getting back my secured deposit within 60 days. I'll just be adding that to one of my savings account. Luckily that is one of the cards that is already paid off with a $0 balance.

I normally don't open up credit card statements because I do everything online, but luckily I took the time to do it today. If I didn't, I would have never saved $45. Check your bills daily! Don't let them pile up and don't be scared to see what you owe. Thats the best advice I can give anybody.

No comments: